Open Community Meeting and AGM
Culduthel Woods Group
10 December 2019
Quick summary of the Open Meeting and AGM on 10 December 2019
We had about 33 people present which was a great turnout for a cold, dark night.
We had two excellent talks about tree safety and how community woods work - thanks to Judith Webb (University of Highlands and Islands) and Jon Hollingdale (Community Woods Association).
We gave a summary of progress to date including:
- research into land ownership
- survey of tree safety in December 2018
- the community consultation in Feb 2018
- the on-going tree felling programme to tackle about 50 dangerous trees. The very good news from the night was that the Highland Council had recently agreed to deal with ALL the dangerous trees in the woods. Thanks were especially noted to Cllr Alasdair Christie for his assistance.
Plans ahead include:
- moving towards claiming ownership of the land – grant aided by Highland and Islands Enterprise
- starting a volunteer programme of small scale projects
- developing a management plan for the woods
An update on the new Charity highlighted the opportunities for people to get involved with the Group – especially as Membership secretary, Volunteer coordinator, etc. Please contact the email above if interested.
The AGM for the original Culduthel Woods Group (unincorporated association) was held and it was agreed to close down the organisation with all the work to be taken forwards by the charity of the same name. The funds from the older organisation will all be passed to the new Charity. Minutes of the AGM will be posted here is due course.
Membership forms were distributed – we need to develop a strong base of members. It is only £10 a year to be a member of the organisation which win time will own/manage such a valuable local asset.
There are options for life and corporate membership. Membership forms to be posted here soon.
Finally, thanks were noted to a wide range of organisations and individuals who had helped us over the last 18 months.