Cog Icon signifying link to Admin page

Culduthel Community Woods

Inverness, Scotland

Historical Information

This page sets out what we know about the history of the woods and the surrounding area. Please get in touch if you have more information to share.

Very close to the woods a valuable collection of historic artefacts was found, dating back to the beginning of the Bronze Age around 2280-2020 BC. There is a very good summary of the archaeological excavations with photos on the SRARF website here.

The fanstastic set of artefacts (including flint arrowheads and archery equipment) that were found locally are stored in the National Museum of Scotand and can be seen here.

Culduthel House was built c.1780‑90. A modest Georgian building of two storeys and attic. There are a few aerial images of the site and details HERE.

The Culduthel Hospital opened in 1917. The house was purchased by Inverness Town Council in 1914 and plans drawn up for its conversion and for ward blocks in the grounds, by the burgh surveyor and an Edinburgh architect to the Local Government Board. Prior to the completion of Culduthel Hospital, the infectious diseases cases had been treated at the Royal Northern Infirmary but the managers had long been agitating to have a new hospital built for this purpose. Further ward blocks were added in the 1930s. With the transfer of facilties and services to Raigmore, the Culduthel Hospital closed in September 1989. There is a very full paper on the history of Culduthel Hospital, with photos and maps, at the relvant link on this website.

^