Culduthel Woods Group
22 October 2019 10:50
It has been a while since we posted an update but a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes to secure a positive future for the woods. This includes:
- Establishment of a new charitable organisation: This will make fundraising easier and limit any liabilities for trustees. We will share more on this at our upcoming community meeting/AGM (date to be confirmed).
- Removal of the dangerous trees: We have obtained quotes for the work from professional foresters and had five meetings with Highland Council, along with the Chair of the Inverness Royal Academy Parent Council. We hope we will soon be able to announce a plan of work on the trees near to the paths, roads and pavements that will help keep the woods safe.
- Fundraising: We have been trying to raise funds to help develop our work, with some modest success. We will need to raise more funds soon and would welcome any ideas or offers of support.
- Land ownership: The woods remains ownerless. We have continued to gather information about the legal processes involved in owning or managing land and we have shared information about our work with others.
- Networking: We have had a lot of advice and support from the Community Woods Association, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Scottish Forestry, The Highland Council, the Land Commission for Scotland and the Altnaskiach Community Woods Group. We are members of Community Land Scotland and attended their annual conference on Skye.
Looking ahead, we are keen to keep members (and anyone else who is interested!) updated on our progress and future plans. Watch this space for further updates and details of the next community meeting/AGM!